This course provides an overview & analysis of the Old Testament Books of the Minor Prophets, highlighting the historical & cultural background, argument, theology, & practical implications. Particular attention will be given to how the message of these books applies to our own lives and world today.
Upon completion of this course, students should be able to:
1. Articulate the broad outlines of the content of the Minor Prophets and understand how they relate to the biblical story.
2. Become conversant with the ways in which the Minor Prophets communicate persuasively.
This will involve investigating the rhetorical and literary shape of the Minor Prophets.
3. Place the individual books of the Minor Prophets within their historical, cultural and social contexts.
4. Become conversant with continuing challenges in the history of interpretation.
5. Discern how the Minor Prophets reveal God’s intentions for humanity and continues to speak as Christian scripture today.